Tuesday 23 June 2009

Les Choristes



Les Choristes is a French film from 2004 (It's called The Chorus in some English speaking countries). Set in 1949, it tells the story of Clement Mathieu (played by comic actor Gerard Jugnot), a failed musician who finds himself working at Le Fond D'Etang - translated as The Rock Bottom - a school for unruly children.

The school is run on strict discipline. "Action - Reaction!" barks tyrannical headmaster Rachin (Francois Berleand) and this is the unthinking mantra for all staff at his Les Diaboliques-style institution. Mathieu's predecessor explains that the work is to provide the most perfunctory of education, while avoiding serious injury at the hands of the inmates. Pupils are beaten, bullied and isolated into obedience and suicides are common.

Of course, Mathieu doesn't accept this. On witnessing Rachin's brutal methods, he attempts to win over his class with kindness and understanding and when they mock him with song, he harnesses their enthusiasm by starting a choir. Of special interest to Mathieu is Pierre Morhange, a boy with the voice of an angel.





The film is actually a remake of the 1944 film called La Cage aux Rossignols (The Cage of Nightingales)


The film is practically identical but the ending and the beginning are different. Here are a few pics from La Cage aux Rossignols





Then there are a few pics which show the same scenes in both films




and the music stand.....



some more just general pics from Les Choristes



Next posting will be about the guys who actually sing in the film as well as some clips. Keep watching!

3 comments:

  1. Aaaargh! I wrote a long comment but before I could post it, the page somehow refreshed and everything went blank! So now I have to type again. Sigh. I'm not going to type everything... just wanted to say that Les Choristes is one of my favourite films but I had no idea it was a remake of a film called La Cage aux Rossignols.

    Also, where do you get so much information on all the choirs from all over the world? You must spend a lot of time reading and looking for pics. The amount of work you put into this blog is obvious. It's a good blog!
    Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, its a great film. They both are.

    I just read lots. Thats why it always takes me so long between posting ;) Thanks for saying you like my blog though. Maybe I will actually get round to another post this weekend. I'm glad people are still reading sometimes.
    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James,
    I don't think you have to worry about people not reading your blog. It seems kind of popular with people who like boy choirs.

    My blog, on the other hand, is only read by friends and family! I started it when I moved to the UK to let them know what places I visited and what I was doing. It ended up being about my photography, travel, movies and computer design... too messy to have a loyal base of readers like yours. :P I was thinking about stopping it since I email and text my friends anyway, but I kinda like to think of it as an online journal so it stays for now :)

    Have a good weekend!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete